Temporary closure to new applications from certification bodies
COSMOS is currently not accepting applications from new certification bodies; we are prioritising to provide support to our existing network of authorised certification bodies during a period of unprecedented growth.
As a result of our rapid growth (92% increase in certified products and 30% in certified ingredients during 2018) and the recent application of the latest comprehensive update of our standards documents, we are responding to increased demand for technical support and co-ordination.
This temporary closure reflects our clear commitment to provide adequate support to new certification bodies. We will confirm in due course the duration of the closure to new applications. You are welcome to register your interest in the meantime. For future reference the application procedure is outlined below.
How to apply
Certification Bodies applying for authorisation as COSMOS-standard certifiers must:
- simultaneously apply for (associate) membership of COSMOS-standard AISBL;
- have a valid accreditation to perform certification for at least one standard according to ISO/IEC Guide 17065 ; and
- have sufficiently qualified/experienced staff to perform certification within the scopes applied for.
You will need to compile the following information/declarations:
- duly completed application form;
- duly completed application form for membership of COSMOS-standard AISBL, if the certifier is not already a member;
- legal name and status, address and legal representative of the certifier;
- list of all offices and branches;
- scopes for which you are seeking authorisation;
- a copy of the applicant’s ISO 17065 accreditation certificate and a list of the accredited scopes;
- details of the nominated accreditation body to undertake the COSMOS-standard accreditation;
- a summary of the relevant professional qualifications and experience of the your designated cosmetics personnel; and
- declaration that, if approved, the certifier agrees to:
- operate in compliance with the requirements of this Manual,
- certify according to the COSMOS-standard, and
- enter into a formal contract with the COSMOS-standard AISBL.
Send your completed application and all supporting documentation to the Secretary General of the COSMOS-standard AISBL at: 124 rue du Commerce, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What we expect of you
We are an international non-profit association set up to serve the best interests of our members and the environment. We do this through managing and developing the COSMOS-standard as an international, and internationally accepted, standard for organic and natural cosmetics and by authorising and overseeing high quality and harmonised certification. We also provide representation, communication and information exchange between members and other stakeholders to achieve an improved policy environment and wider public awareness.
As an authorised certifier, we expect you to uphold the integrity of our (and your) Standard in your certification work and to foster its good reputation, for all our benefits. We expect you to comply fully with all your obligations and to report any problems that you may find fully and promptly so that we can investigate them and take any necessary action.
As a member, we expect you to respect the interests of the COSMOS-standard AISBL and to contribute to its activities where appropriate, so that it can provide the best possible service to its members and the wider public and can fulfil its objectives.
How to report a complaint if you have one
If you do find a problem or have your suspicions aroused outside of your certification about a product, company or other certifier (your normal disciplinary/sanctions procedures would apply within your certification) please report it through the email@example.com email or use the contact us link. In order for us to make a full investigation and take any necessary action, it is vital you provide the following information:
- Your name and contact details (these will be kept confidential but we may need to contact you for more information)
- The full name of the product(s) or company you are complaining about
- Details of the company involved (and their certification, if appropriate)
- Where and when you came across the problem
- The details of your complaint – what is the problem you have found.
Please be as specific as you can, as we cannot investigate complaints that are unspecific or too general.