Benefits for your business and what we offer
Whether you work nationally or internationally, the cosmetics market is increasingly international. Cosmetics companies want one standard to cover all their markets. The COSMOS-standard provides that. In a few years it will be the most common organic and natural cosmetics standard globally. If you want to certify in this market and use the ‘industry standard’, the COSMOS-standard is for you. Then you can compete on your service, name and reputation, on an otherwise level playing field.
Additionally, the Standard allows you to maintain your own badging on the products you certify – your logo always goes above the COSMOS signature. So your clients can keep their local identity, supported by the internationally recognised COSMOS signature.
The COSMOS-standard AISBL which owns the Standard is an independent non-profit association. It has an open and democratic structure. By adopting the COSMOS-standard you become an integral part of this important initiative!
How to apply
Please note that we have temporarily suspended the certifier application process whilst we are reviewing, revising and updating the COSMOS Control Manual and other documents in order to clarify and strengthen the procedures and to integrate the requirements of ISO 17065. This means COSMOS is not currently accepting applications from new certification bodies wishing to apply for authorisation. However, it does not affect the continuing authorisation of existing certifiers or their certification activities. Please watch this space for further developments.
Certification Bodies applying for authorisation as COSMOS-standard certifiers must:
- simultaneously apply for (associate) membership of COSMOS-standard AISBL;
- have a valid accreditation to perform certification for at least one standard according to ISO/IEC Guide 17065 ; and
- have sufficiently qualified/experienced staff to perform certification within the scopes applied for.
You will need to compile the following information/declarations:
- duly completed application form;
- duly completed application form for membership of COSMOS-standard AISBL, if the certifier is not already a member;
- legal name and status, address and legal representative of the certifier;
- list of all offices and branches;
- scopes for which you are seeking authorisation;
- a copy of the applicant’s ISO 17065 accreditation certificate and a list of the accredited scopes;
- details of the nominated accreditation body to undertake the COSMOS-standard accreditation;
- a summary of the relevant professional qualifications and experience of the your designated cosmetics personnel; and
- declaration that, if approved, the certifier agrees to:
- operate in compliance with the requirements of this Manual,
- certify according to the COSMOS-standard, and
- enter into a formal contract with the COSMOS-standard AISBL.
Send your completed application and all supporting documentation to the Secretary General of the COSMOS-standard AISBL at: 124 rue du Commerce, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What we expect of you
We are an international non-profit association set up to serve the best interests of our members and the environment. We do this through managing and developing the COSMOS-standard as an international, and internationally accepted, standard for organic and natural cosmetics and by authorising and overseeing high quality and harmonised certification. We also provide representation, communication and information exchange between members and other stakeholders to achieve an improved policy environment and wider public awareness.
As an authorised certifier, we expect you to uphold the integrity of our (and your) Standard in your certification work and to foster its good reputation, for all our benefits. We expect you to comply fully with all your obligations and to report any problems that you may find fully and promptly so that we can investigate them and take any necessary action.
As a member, we expect you to respect the interests of the COSMOS-standard AISBL and to contribute to its activities where appropriate, so that it can provide the best possible service to its members and the wider public and can fulfil its objectives.
How to report a complaint if you have one
If you do find a problem or have your suspicions aroused outside of your certification about a product, company or other certifier (your normal disciplinary/sanctions procedures would apply within your certification) please report it through the email@example.com email or use the contact us link. In order for us to make a full investigation and take any necessary action, it is vital you provide the following information:
- Your name and contact details (these will be kept confidential but we may need to contact you for more information)
- The full name of the product(s) or company you are complaining about
- Details of the company involved (and their certification, if appropriate)
- Where and when you came across the problem
- The details of your complaint – what is the problem you have found.
Please be as specific as you can, as we cannot investigate complaints that are unspecific or too general.